I can get shit done – and I can say no to things that don’t matter.
Some of the folks who are kind enough to “test” out my affirmations have been asking for things that will motivate them to get things done or to strive for more. This is not my strong suit. I’m more of a “You’re perfect just the way you are” kind of gal. But, in the interest of being helpful, let’s talk about procrastinating…
We all do it. Especially when it’s something we HATE to do. And, I find that if I’ve got time and it’s something I HATE to do, well … that shit is not getting done until the very last second, I can promise you that! So, here’s what I wanna say about this subject:
1. Don’t judge yourself. Judging only makes things worse. Everyone does this, so there’s no reason to beat yourself up about it.
2. Make sure whatever you’re putting off is not an unreasonable expectation by others or yourself. Some simple examples include: If you’re putting off cleaning the toilet and it looks like something died in there, well, then… get that shit done (pun intended). But, if you’re always putting off folding that fitted sheet because you have to fold it perfectly just like Martha Stewart, well, then, um… you don’t have to do that…
3. If you really do need to get this abhorrent task done, try one of these:
- Do anything that’s productive. This serves 2 purposes. 1. You will get shit done. 2. When you’re on a roll, you might just roll right onto the task you’re avoiding.
- Tie this task to a more enjoyable activity. If you need to do some boring data entry, do it from your favorite coffee shop.
In the end, if it’s something that needs to get done, I have no doubt you’ll get it done. I have faith in you and think you’re perfect just the way you are!
Spiral level: Meh, Pretty Darn Good, Great!
Use when feeling: overwhelmed, indifferent, lethargic